Buying an LCD monitor for your desktop computer is about matching its features and functions — including size and usability — with your specific needs. Our comprehensive guide to choosing a monitor makes the decision easier.
Why Should You Buy An LCD Monitor?
LCD (liquid crystal display) monitors – LED screens are also available – are lighter, brighter and smaller than the old CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors. This makes them perfect as a second computer monitor (working on multiple documents), or for watching movies and playing games in restricted spaces.
How Big Should I Go?
- LCD screens most commonly range between 21.5-inch and 29-inch, measured diagonally across the screen
- Ensure you measure the space where your monitor will sit before purchasing
- If you work on multiple documents on your PC, two smaller monitors might be better than one large screen
Usability Is The Key
- Look for LCD monitors with height-adjustable stands; the top of the screen should be in line with, or just below, your eye level
- The monitor controls should be easily accessible and the options menu (to change contrast, brightness etc.) easy to navigate
How Do I Connect My LCD Monitor?
- Most monitors come with a DVI (Digital Visual Interface)
- To connect with older computers, look for a VGA port
- An HDMI connection is desirable for connecting Blu-ray, PS4, etc
- To connect external speakers, look for Audio In and Out
- Resolution: Measured in pixels (horizontal x vertical). High Definition (HD) content, such as Blu-ray, is delivered at 1920×1080 (1080p)
- Aspect ratio: Proportion of width to height. A contrast ratio of 16:9 (seen in 1920×1080 screens) will display full HD content without distorting the image
- Contrast ratio: The difference between the light intensity of the brightest white and the darkest black. Look for the highest ratio possible; above 10,000:1 is good
- Pixel response rate: How quickly the pixels can change colour, measured in milliseconds (ms). A good response time is between 5ms and 2ms
- Luminance: Measures brightness in candelas per square meter (cd, m2), otherwise known as nits. Between 200 to 300cd/m2 is fine, but 500cd/m2 is better for TV and movies
- Viewing angle: LCD pixels tend to distort the further at an angle you view the screen from. Look for the widest viewing angle possible; greater than 150 degrees is advisable
Match Your Lifestyle
Whether you work from home or in an office, make sure the LCD monitor is usable for extended periods of time.
- Size: Consider two smaller screens to work between multiple documents
- Height adjustable stand: Reduces strain on your neck and eyes
- Brightness: You don’t want to strain your eyes, so aim for above 250cd/m²
Design and Photography
Make sure that you get the best picture quality and colours possible to view and edit images.
- Brightness: Aim for around 500cd/ m²
- Contrast ratio: Look for over 100,000:1
- Resolution: Aim for the highest possible; a 1920×1080 screen is considered full HD
- Movie Buffs and Gamers
Use your LCD monitor as a gaming station or a movie screen.
- Brightness: Aim for around 500cd/ m²
- Pixel response time: A fast time like 2ms is ideal
- Connections: Look for HDMI to fit Blu-ray
- Simple LCD Monitor Choices
- Size: Measure the space where your screen will sit before deciding on size
- Better moving pictures: Look for LCD monitors with a pixel rate of 5ms or less
- Widescreen: An aspect ratio of 16:9 is best for widescreen movies
Most Popular – Monitors & LCDs
Philips 32″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) LCD E Line 16:9, Input- VGA (Analog ), DVI-D (digital, HDCP), HDMI (digital, HDCP), Speakers, Tilt Stand, 3 Year Wty$ 362.00 Inc. GST Read more
Philips Monitor 35″ 16:9 IPS-LED,356M6QJAB,1920×1080 FHD, Input: HDMI/DP/VGA, Speakers, AmbiGlow, FreeSync, VESA$ 556.00 Inc. GST Read more
NEC AS193i 19″ LED Value Monitor$ 310.10 Inc. GST Read more
NEC PA302 SpectraView II Solution – Bundle includes PA302W-BK, SpectraView Software$ 3,098.70 Inc. GST Read more
Philips 27″ 273V7QDAB IPS LED FHD Monitor,Tilt, 16:9, Speakers, VGA,HDMI,DVI-D, 3 yr Warranty – Slim Bezel$ 249.00 Inc. GST Read more
BenQ GC2870H LED / 28″/ 16:9/ 1920 x 1080/ 3000:1/ 5ms/ VA Panel/ VGA, HDMI$ 339.00 Inc. GST Read more
NQR Philips Monitor 43″ 16:9 LED,BDM4350UC , 3840×2160 UHD 4K, Input: DP/HDMI/VGA/MHL-HDMI, Speakers, USB 3.0 Hub ,VESA$ 964.00 Inc. GST Read more
Philips Monitor 24″ 16:9 IPS LED, 243S7EJMB ,1920×1080, T/S/P/HAS, Input: HDMI1.4/VGA/DP 1.2/ USB2.04 x 4, VESA, Speakers, 4 Yrs Wty.$ 294.00 Inc. GST Read more
Philips 24 (23.8″) 243V7QDAB IPS LED FHD Monitor,Tilt,16:9, Speakers, VGA,HDMI,DVI-D, 3 yr Warranty – Slim Bezel$ 214.00 Inc. GST Read more
NEC EA273WM LED / 27″/ 16:9/ 1920 x 1080/ 1000:1/ 6ms/ IPS Panel/ VGA,DVI, HDMI, DP/ Speakers/ HAS$ 727.00 Inc. GST Read more
Phlips Dual Monitor Bundle – 2 x 241B7QUPBEB 24″FDH IPS LED with USB C Dock$ 813.00 Inc. GST Read more
Phlips Dual Monitor Bundle – 2 x Philips Monitor 21.5″ 16:9 LED, 226V4LABwith VGA/DVI, VESA, Speakers$ 298.00 Inc. GST Read more
Philips Monitor 21.5″ 16:9 LED, 223V5LHSB2, 1920×1080, Black, VESA, Input: VGA, HDMI, 3YR Wty$ 203.00 Inc. GST Read more
- $ 674.00 Inc. GST Read more
Philips Monitor 43″ 16:9 LED,BDM4350UC , 3840×2160 UHD 4K, Input: DP/HDMI/VGA/MHL-HDMI, Speakers, USB 3.0 Hub ,VESA$ 944.00 Inc. GST Read more
Philips Monitor 21.5″ 16:9 LED, 221S6QYMB ,1920×1080,T/S/HAS, Input: VGA/DVI,/DP Speakers,VESA, 4 YR$ 245.00 Inc. GST Read more