Buying an LCD monitor for your desktop computer is about matching its features and functions — including size and usability — with your specific needs. Our comprehensive guide to choosing a monitor makes the decision easier.
Why Should You Buy An LCD Monitor?
LCD (liquid crystal display) monitors – LED screens are also available – are lighter, brighter and smaller than the old CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors. This makes them perfect as a second computer monitor (working on multiple documents), or for watching movies and playing games in restricted spaces.
How Big Should I Go?
- LCD screens most commonly range between 21.5-inch and 29-inch, measured diagonally across the screen
- Ensure you measure the space where your monitor will sit before purchasing
- If you work on multiple documents on your PC, two smaller monitors might be better than one large screen
Usability Is The Key
- Look for LCD monitors with height-adjustable stands; the top of the screen should be in line with, or just below, your eye level
- The monitor controls should be easily accessible and the options menu (to change contrast, brightness etc.) easy to navigate
How Do I Connect My LCD Monitor?
- Most monitors come with a DVI (Digital Visual Interface)
- To connect with older computers, look for a VGA port
- An HDMI connection is desirable for connecting Blu-ray, PS4, etc
- To connect external speakers, look for Audio In and Out
- Resolution: Measured in pixels (horizontal x vertical). High Definition (HD) content, such as Blu-ray, is delivered at 1920×1080 (1080p)
- Aspect ratio: Proportion of width to height. A contrast ratio of 16:9 (seen in 1920×1080 screens) will display full HD content without distorting the image
- Contrast ratio: The difference between the light intensity of the brightest white and the darkest black. Look for the highest ratio possible; above 10,000:1 is good
- Pixel response rate: How quickly the pixels can change colour, measured in milliseconds (ms). A good response time is between 5ms and 2ms
- Luminance: Measures brightness in candelas per square meter (cd, m2), otherwise known as nits. Between 200 to 300cd/m2 is fine, but 500cd/m2 is better for TV and movies
- Viewing angle: LCD pixels tend to distort the further at an angle you view the screen from. Look for the widest viewing angle possible; greater than 150 degrees is advisable
Match Your Lifestyle
Whether you work from home or in an office, make sure the LCD monitor is usable for extended periods of time.
- Size: Consider two smaller screens to work between multiple documents
- Height adjustable stand: Reduces strain on your neck and eyes
- Brightness: You don’t want to strain your eyes, so aim for above 250cd/m²
Design and Photography
Make sure that you get the best picture quality and colours possible to view and edit images.
- Brightness: Aim for around 500cd/ m²
- Contrast ratio: Look for over 100,000:1
- Resolution: Aim for the highest possible; a 1920×1080 screen is considered full HD
- Movie Buffs and Gamers
Use your LCD monitor as a gaming station or a movie screen.
- Brightness: Aim for around 500cd/ m²
- Pixel response time: A fast time like 2ms is ideal
- Connections: Look for HDMI to fit Blu-ray
- Simple LCD Monitor Choices
- Size: Measure the space where your screen will sit before deciding on size
- Better moving pictures: Look for LCD monitors with a pixel rate of 5ms or less
- Widescreen: An aspect ratio of 16:9 is best for widescreen movies
Most Popular – Monitors & LCDs
Lenovo ThinkVision T24i-20 -61F7MAR1AU- 23.8″ FHD 4ms/6ms 60Hz IPS / VGA / HDMI / DP / USB 3.1 G1 / Audio out 3.5mm / PIVOT / VESA /$ 309.00 Inc. GST Add to cart
BenQ 31.5″ 4K HDR Gaming Monitor /3840 x 2160 /16:9 /VA Panel /DisplayPort, USB-C, HDMI /Speakers /3 yr WTY$ 769.00 Inc. GST Add to cart
HP 34f -6JM50AA- 34″ WQHD IPS / 3440 x 1440 / 21:9 / 190 PPI / DP / 2x HDMI / DP / 3x USB 3.0 / 1YR$ 1,094.00 Inc. GST Add to cart
HP Z24f G3 FHD IPS Display 23,8″ /1920 x 1080 /16:9 /VESA /DisplayPort, HDMI, USB-A /3 yr WTY$ 359.00 Inc. GST Add to cart
Lenovo ThinkVision S24e-20 62AEKAR2AU 23.8″ FHD /1920 x 1080 /AMD FreeSync /HDMI, VGA /VESA /3 yr WTY. Also see 61CAKAR1AU$ 289.00 Inc. GST Add to cart
Lenovo ThinkVision S24e-10 23.8″ FHD LCD /1920 x 1080 /VA /16:9 /60Hz /93 PPI /HDMI, VGA /VESA /3 yr WTY$ 259.00 Inc. GST Add to cart
NEC 43″ E438 LCD 4K UHDCommercial-Grade /3840 x 2160 /16:9/ IPS /VGA, HDMI, LAN, USB-C /Speakers /3 yr WTY$ 993.00 Inc. GST Add to cart
NEC 49″ E498 LCD Direct-lit 4K UHD / 3840 x 2160/16:9 /ATSC/NTSC Tuner /VGA, HDMI, LAN, USB-C / Speaker/3 yr WTY$ 1,486.00 Inc. GST Add to cart
BOX DAMAGED HP Z24f G3 FHD IPS Display 23,8″ /1920 x 1080 /16:9 /VESA /DisplayPort, HDMI, USB-A /3 yr WTY$ 419.00 Inc. GST Read more
- $ 249.00 Inc. GST Read more
Box opened Dahua 24″ FHD LED Monitor with Aspect Ratio 16:9, Resolution 1920×1080, Backlight LED, Response time 5ms with 1 x VGA and 1xHDMI input$ 214.00 Inc. GST Read more
HP EliteDisplay E243 -1FH47AA- 23.8″ FHD 5ms 60Hz IPS/VGA/HDMI/DisplayPort/PIVOT/VESA . Replaced by 9VF99AA$ 330.00 Inc. GST Read more
HP P24 G4 -1A7E5AA- 23.8″ FHD IPS LED Monitor /1920 x 1080/ 16:9/ 60Hz /93 PPI /DP, HDMI, VGA /VESA /3 yr WTY$ 265.00 Inc. GST Read more
LG 27MP59G-P Gaming Monitor 27″ FHD IPS / 1920 x 1080 / 16:9 / 75Hz / 82 PPI / HDMI, DP / AMD FreeSync / 3 yr WTY – Last Stock !!!$ 240.00 Inc. GST Read more
- $ 269.00 Inc. GST Read more
HP 24mq -7XM24AA- 23.8″ IPS QHD 2560 x 1440 5ms 60Hz IPS VGA/HDMI/VESA/ 3Y – Limited stock at a Steal !$ 284.00 Inc. GST Read more