Setting up a home office can improve your small business’ productivity. We help you: choose the right laptop or desktop computer; set up a wireless network with router and modem; pick essential software like anti-virus security; and more.
What Type Of Computer Do I Choose?
If your work doesn’t require you to take a computer with you, then a desktop computer is ideal. Desktops are cost effective and offer great performance. They can be easily upgraded and are highly versatile (they can also be used as gaming computers and media libraries to store you music and videos).
For those who take work out of the office, laptops – also referred to as notebooks – come in a range of sizes, from the thin and light Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) to the larger desktop replacements. The size and weight of the laptop is often dictated by the level of features and performance available.
When selecting a computer for your home office, consider the following:
Processor – The “brains” of the computer, that determines how fast it functions
- Desktops range between 1.40 and 3.90 GHz
- Laptops range between 1 and 2.60 GHz
- Ultrabooks range between 1.60 and 1.90 GHz
Tip! Choose the fastest you can afford
Random Access Memory (RAM) – Helps your processor perform tasks by acting as temporary storage
- Desktops typically have between 1 and 16GB RAM
- Laptops have between 2 and 32GB
- Ultrabooks have between 4 and 8GB
Tip! The more RAM, the more programs you can keep open at once, and the faster your computer will operate
Hard Drive – Where your computer stores files. Storage capacity is measured in gigabytes
- Desktops and laptops can store up to 3TB
- Ultrabooks can store up to 500GB
- Tip! The more GB, the more files you can fit
Which Software Is Essential?
- Business: For administrative, accounting and finance tasks
- Anti-virus/Security: A must to protect against malicious attacks from viruses and worms
- Operating system: The software that runs the tasks on your computer
- Other: Programs like Microsoft Office come with essential programs, such as Word and Excel
How Do I Set Up A Wireless Network?
A “wireless” network (Wi-Fi) lets you share files between multiple computers and other devices, such as a printer, without messy cables. The devices “talk” to each other through a router.
- A router with a modem enables multiple computers to connect to the Internet
- Use security encryption to protect your documents
Which Type Of Printer Do I Need?
The nature of your work will dictate which type of printer you require.
- Personal laser printers deliver fast, sharp print for text documents
- Ink-jet printers are ideal for high quality colour output, like photographs
- Multifunction printers (MFP) combine a printer with a copier, a scanner and a fax machine
Choose between a colour or mono chrome printer
Ensure the printer is compatible with your computer, and always consider the costs of consumables, such as ink cartridges
What Do I Look For In A Phone?
Look for a cordless phone with a hands-free speakerphone function. This allows you to multi-task while on hold, and is suitable for business meetings and conference calls.
- Caller ID lets you screen calls for importance
- An in-built answering machine is a must
How Do I Create The Right Office Environment?
A pleasant office environment can help with productivity. Consider the following:
- Select a desk that is a light to medium colour with a matt finish; a dark or shiny desktop can result in too much reflection
- Use a halogen desk lamp for clean, even light without shadows
- Set up your monitor side-on to a window to avoid glare from the sun
- Position things like stationary and the telephone within reach to avoid over-stretching and straining
- Invest in a good-quality, fully-adjustable ergonomic chair with a well padded seat base
- Ensure you have adequate storage, like filing cabinets, to keep your office organised
- Remember to take regular breaks – stretch your muscles or go for a brisk work – as this will ensure you remain focused
Most Popular – Networking Solutions
CISCO 802.11AC OUTDOOR AP, EXTERNAL-ANT, AC-POWER, REG. DOMAIN-Z$ 3,712.02 Inc. GST Read more
NetComm AG1200 Networkable Thermal Printer for HS1200N N300 WiFi Hotspot$ 483.90 Inc. GST Read more
Cisco 802.11AC W2 AP W/CA 4X4:3 EXT ANT 2XGBE Z DOMAIN$ 2,652.02 Inc. GST Read more
Cisco Aironet 1852e Indoor Access Point with external antenna points, Dual-band 802.11ac Wave 2 with Mobility Express Controller Software$ 1,613.80 Inc. GST Read more
Cisco 802.11AC WAVE 2 4X4:4SS EXT ANT Z REG DOM$ 1,676.07 Inc. GST Read more
Cisco Aironet AIR-CAP2702E-Z-K9 Dual-band controller-based 802.11ac Indoor, challenging environments, with external antenna points$ 2,132.90 Inc. GST Read more